Friday, May 21, 2010

Bread Basket-Part Two

 

 

 

 


I made my resist 1.5 times the original measurements to allow for shrinkage...

...and the bread basket is a perfect size and shape.

Unfortunately, I placed my 'warm bread' symbols a bit too high...

...and the top flap hides them when it's folded down. Alas.

After hand-felting the initial resist piece...

...and then felting it (hard) in the washing machine and dryer...

...I made a separate piece of felt, in the same way, for the bottom.

I machine washed and dried the separate pieces...

...since I wanted the entire project to be easily machine washable.

I thought it would be nice to have the white side 'up' for the basket bottom...

...in order to better see one's choice of bread or roll.

I made a template for the bottom circle...

...by fitting different sizes of bowls, inside, until I found a close fit...

...then drawing around it, adding a bit for the exact measurement.

I tacked the compass points of the circle to the bowl bottom by hand first...

...so that it would then be easier to sew by machine (using a leather needle).

This wasn't a super easy project...

...but I think it came out well and could have lots of other applications.

Add a handle for use as a dorm shower caddy?

Put pre-felt flowers on it for use as a brush/blow dryer dresser organizer?

Compared to my shallow flat-felt box...

...the sides of which never really stood up...

...I think this project has many applications for use as storage.

Let me know what you do with yours!








Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

FeltersJourney said...

Lovely! Your writing turned out really well (especially as you had to do it back to front :o)
x

Lisabeth said...

wonderful felt basket
love Lisabeth

Heather Woollove said...

Thanks, Lisabeth!