Saturday, May 1, 2010

"Kale Love"-The Green Cookbook

 

 

 

 


I can't blame this on my middle-aged brain...

...nope, I've had this habit for over 20 years.

Only rarely can I remember the names of my cookbooks!

For instance, I'll ask one of my daughters for the 'green cookbook'...

...by which I mean this one, "Quick Vegetarian Pleasures".

I also call one the 'numbers cookbook' (The King Arthur Flour 200th Anniversary cookbook)...

...the 'duct tape spiral-bound one' (An ancient copy of The Pillsbury Cookbook)...

...and the 'purple Moosewood cookbook' (The Enchanted Broccoli Forest).

I used to feel a little bit embarrassed about this...

...until I read a wonderful blog post by Mercedes...

...in which she describes how her mother used to call The Joy Of Cooking, "Mrs Rombauer"!!
*******************************************************************************
So, I was in the mood for kale the other day...

...anticipating the veritable mountains of greens that will be mine when my Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) starts yielding crops.

I wanted to try something new...

...so I made a lovely Scalloped Kale and Potatoes recipe from this terrific cookbook...

Here's the basic recipe (paraphrased)...

Peel and thinly slice 5 potatoes. Place half of the slices in the bottom of a 9 X 13 inch (greased) pan.

Meanwhile, steam a one-pound bag of fresh, cleaned kale just until wilted (still bright green), drain and coarsley chop.

Put all of the kale on top of the potato layer in the pan.

Dot the kale layer with 2 tbsp butter, cut into bits, salt, pepper, 2-6 cloves of pressed (or grated) garlic, and 3/4 cup of grated Swiss cheese.

Put the second layer of potatoes over this, and repeat with salt, pepper, 2 tbsp butter, cut into bits, and another 3/4 cup of grated Swiss cheese.

Pour 1 & 1/4 cups of milk on top of the kale casserole and gently shake the dish to distribute it. Bake about 50 minutes at 425 degrees F, or until the top is nicely browned and the potatoes are tender.

Delish!!








Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Mitsy / ArtMind said...

that sounds delish! We just planted kale and I'll bookmark this recipe as we always make mashed potatoes from it and I find that really boring! :) Thanks Heather!

Kelly said...

I can totally relate...I do this with all books...not a good thing when you are a teacher and you cannot remember the title of a book! The recipe looks yummy! I am patiently waiting for my veggies in my garden. Cooking with super fresh produce is the best!!Have a fab weekend!

Mariana said...

This looks and "reads" yummy!!!! Thanks for the recipe.
This year the weather has been so cold that we haven't got anything from our veggie patch yet. Small little leaves we see now coming up. Usually we would have already eaten at least spinach!. nothing. Can not wait!!!!

Gina said...

Yummy! Love the sound of that recipe.